View Single Post
Old 2010-10-27, 15:56   Link #2059
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Still too uncertain for my taste.
But certainly, no LESS uncertain than your inferences.

Quote:
At best she had assumptions what her song would actually do. Leaving Frontier for what she assumes could possibly work was a very irresponsible move.
And yet, as I've pointed out twice before, maybe she knew the Vajra wanted her and only her. In which case, leaving Frontier would SAVE the fleet.

Quote:
We have to take into account that Ranka did not have a clue about Graces and Leons manipulations at the time of her departure. Neither did anyone tell her that the last attack on Frontier had degraded the bio-system in such a way that long-term survival of the colony was impossible. It is basically certain that she was not able to infer that on her own, since she never displayed any knowledge about the intricacies of the Frontier bio-system.

Therefore, looking at it from a perspective of what Rankas knowledge status at the point of her departure was, trying to work out what the problems were with her failed attempt at calming the Vajra with the military would have been her best option.
See above.

Quote:
In that light, Rankas departure seems rash and impulsive.
In that light, yes. But that light is "too uncertain for my taste."

Quote:
There were several sequences after her departure where she gets more complete flashbacks from her past, including one where she fully realizes that it was her song which instigated the Vajra on the 117th. This means that she only had fragments of her memories. That logically infers that she left Frontier with incomplete information, making it a crap shoot.
When did she learn that "Aimo" was the Vajra love song? That, it seems to me, would be the linchpin. Knowing that the Vajra responded to her song, learning WHY they responded to THAT SONG would give her a powerful tool in learning how to make them respond in the way that she wanted.

Quote:
The problem for me is not that her departure is wholly unjustified. The problem is that it was rash and stupid. And premeditatedly so. She knew that she woud go into incredible danger, she knew that she'd leave Frontier in the lurch and she knew that taking Alto would also put him in direct danger. And she still went ahead.

She also had, in episode 20, gotten her singing under control enough to lure the Vajra to Island-3. So she would have had reason to suspect that her singing would not necessarily be out of control forever. Which is another reason for her to stay and try to work out what could be done with the Frontier military. But, as I pointed out one post above, her reasons for leaving weren't necessarily only motivated by one longshot at peace with the Vajra, but also other underlying motivations to put distance between herself and her former life.
You're again guessing at how much she recalled in episode 21, and deciding (with little evidence) that she didn't know how or why the Vajra responded to her.

My feeling is that she MUST have known that, AND she must have known that the Vajra were after her (and not the fleet), or else she wouldn't have left.