Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-02-21, 17:29   Link #12095
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
i wouldn't consider "sophisticated communications systems" like what GD is said to have sold them, as an example of Western nations having to do with the violence against the protesters.
OK, I should have said "equipped" rather than "armed", but the point stands: soldiers need more than guns to operate effectively, and companies like GD have helped the Libyan armed forces to do that. And to be fair, the likes of China and Russia have probably done exactly the same - oil revenue buys a lot of friends.

Quote:
besides, having these kinda regimes dependent on Western weapon suppliers is actually good, as it gives the west something to pressure them with.
I've heard this claim before, but frankly I'm highly dubious of it. How much real political influence does the US have over Israel, for example, despite all the weapons sales? Maybe that's not a good example because US domestic politics also comes into play there, but in general it seems that once you give leaders like Gaddafi material support they're quick to forget whatever promises they made. At most they might try to save their suppliers embarrassment by keeping their actions out of the media, but that hardly counts as a moral victory.