Thread: Crunchyroll Saint Seiya Omega
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-31, 01:12   Link #163
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yeah, IIRC they did release it on DVD in the US retitled Knights of the Zodiak (silly title) and heavily edit the content to remove all the bloody violence in order to make it a kid’s show (they even make their own version of the OP and ED). The result: A complete disaster. Instead of making it more famous ala Robotech (the dumbed down version of SDF Macross), that release killed any potential Saint Seiya had to be well accepted in the US market.
Don't feel bad! When we got Saint Seiya here about 20 years ago they also renamed the title to Los Caballeros del Zodiaco, which from Spanish translates directly to Knights of Zodiac.
You want to hear some even bad news?

Back then, they didn't brought to sub the original opening and instead used the Spain sub for the opening, however, they did keep intact the content of all the whole episodes with that I mean the violence and the blood. That was when Saint Seiya got to air in my country through free TV broadcasting.

Ten years later when Saint Seiya started airing on the Latin American Cartoon Network that time they brought and subbed the original opening and ending for the show. Unfortunately, the downside was that they edited and trimmed the content.

Another reason why in my country the board of censorhip sticked with the title "Los Caballeros del Zodiaco" (Knights of Zodiac in English) for the localization was to avoid sensibility issues with replacing the word "saints" for "knights".
Athenas' saints are called Athenas' knights in my country.

Religion forms part of traditional family values in my country and wouldn't have looked good if an anime TV show broadcasted through free TV, where anyone has direct access to, would have advertised that their main characters were actually saints not knights, viewed by children accompanied by their parents.

Why do you think what was the reason we were the only Latin American country in the entire continent that never ever did air Neon Genesis Evangelion on free TV back in late 1990's and early 2000's?
Guido is online now   Reply With Quote