View Single Post
Old 2017-12-23, 17:52   Link #38865
Whedon the Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
Scale? You are talking cities, planets etc? How many people are we talking about?

It really can't be the ENTIRE population of a world because simply you can't WALK away from a world. You likely either need ships or LOADS of mages with a knack for travelling to transfer the entire population. And you likely don't have the first.

You might be hammering the historical parallel WAAAAAYYY too closely, with names and whatnot. And after all, despite all possible corruption, TSAB is HIGHLY unlikely to bungle the refugee crysis as much as Romans did, what with ratcheting up the prices of food for their own gain to the point where Goths had to sell their own children into slavery.

Secondly, if it's a reasonable amount of cargo ships that SOMEHOW escaped in time with some of the population, that shouldn't be that hard to solve given that TSAB is doing ongoing colonization efforts. So SPACE per say should not be the issue nor the tension with the locals when you can drop them on the other side of planet.
On the other hand that colonization effort is likely to be a rush job and kinda a shit show, but then again given the possible crazy situations with LL that they might have gotten in before, I'm would not be surprised to learn they have protocols for migrating large amounts of people to a new world. And any problem there is largely down to time, not down to TSAB not being able to do it.
At the most several millions people. I based the refugees fleets and the mysterious fleet on the Migrant Fleet from Mass Effect.

And yes, it's not the entire population. The rest of the population are either die or being forced to join the mysterious fleet. The refugees used almost all kind of ship, not only transport ships, but also warships and cargo ships to evacuate from their homes, and that's still not enough for most of their population.

I admit I am not creative when it comes to names and very likely would based them on cultures on Earth. Like they said, write what you know. Also, considering how the situation in Europe with the influx of refugees from Africa and Middle East, there's still a possibility for the TSAB to face problems in dealing with refugees.

Indeed. It's not that the TSAB is not being able to do it, bur rather the time. However, the refugees are growing impatient with how long the TSAB is going to make them wait.

There's also the problems that the refugees bring to the locals, whether deliberately or not. Some of the cultures clashes caused rather severe damage, competition between the refugees and the locals in taking the available jobs, some of the refugees are not nice people and the locals blame the whole of them, administrative chaos, and more.

Basically, can the TSAB solved the refugee crisis? Yes. Can they do that without causing an incident? No.
Whedon the Snarker is offline   Reply With Quote