View Single Post
Old 2006-06-26, 01:54   Link #28
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Spring animes are wrapping up and Summer series are beginning. I will use review threads like these as an opportunity to voice some thoughts of mine on some animes I followed but never spent the time nor effort reading or writing about. In alphabetical order:

Ah! My Goddess Season Two - B- - Viewed 11 episodes
Well, it's Ah! My Goddess. Some have understandable and legitimate criticism against this show for its infinitesimal relationship progression, and exceedingly sweet and repeated demeanor. But fortunately I can stand and accept it. Like some have said, this series is strongly supported by its side characters. And so, I continue watching the adventures and experiences of Belldandy & K1 & company.

ARIA the Natural - B+ - Viewed 5 episodes
More of the overly saccharine and optimistic charm of ARIA. Since its form is unchanged as it was in first season, I'm treating and enjoying it the in the same manner as before.

KIBA - B - Viewed 12 episodes
Despite the elements of shounen genre stereotype (angsty main lead, the pursuit of power, and even spirits reminiscent of pokemon), I like this show. It is well paced, the plot moves quick and does a good job of keeping the viewer's interest. And the character development is well done, as it manages to convincingly reverse our impressions of two characters within an episode's time. As a result, each episode grasps my attention heavily. The animation quality is a bit poor at times but it is to be expected.

Ouran High School Host Club - A - Viewed 11 episodes
Extravagantly funny. The Host Club characters are archetypically distinct, diverse, and charming enough to provide a rich basis for humor. I am a Haruhi fan, but I am a Fujioka Haruhi fan. There lies the critical distinction. She is truly the superior Haruhi, as she is a much better and admirable character. Fairly high animation quality rounds out the excellence of this anime. Good show.

Princess Princess - A- - Viewed 12 episodes (finished)
I don't want to waste time and effort repeating my assessments on this show, so refer to here.

School Rumble Second Semester - B - Viewed 9 episodes
It is more School Rumble humor, however thus far in these episodes, it has not been as amusing as it was in the first season. It is lacking focus on the relationships between the main characters, which is the basis for the hilarious misunderstanding humor that is signature of SR. Instead, so far we were presented with an airsoft battle royale and basketball arc that were only mildly entertaining. But I have no doubt it will shine later in the series when the spotlight is reshifted back to Harima and Eri. I'm partial to Eri and the flag faction.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - C+ - Viewed 12 episodes
I belong to the however small minority that is reluctant to embrace this anime. There is one overwhelming reason: I strongly detest the main lead, Haruhi. Completely self-centered, bossy, over-confidently loud, and insensitive. She's the kind of girl I hate in real life. I find it very hard to comprehend and unnerving to see such an immense amount of people that like her. Her personality just angers and exasperates me so such that it detriments my enjoyment of the show. The fact that she's the main lead and consequently has abundant screen time further contributes to my infuriation. To avoid stirring up too fierce of an animosity from the cult of Haruhism, I will withhold anymore denoucing words. I do acknowledge that the anime has stellar production values, and it does possess the potential to entertain. I suppose the show and its setup would not work so well with any other type of personality for Haruhi. It is simply unfortunate that Haruhi's character repulses me.

Utawarerumono - C- - Viewed 3 episodes (dropped)
Faceless main character, rescued by an attractive female, and ideally helpful. The story and the execution is just much too clichéd to my liking. It was painfully predictable, and so at times the anime felt forced and frequently I had that feeling of "oh that had to happen". I will remember, however, the noteworthy tail-stroking scene, for it was tremendously cute.

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2006-06-26 at 20:25.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote