View Single Post
Old 2010-09-08, 12:04   Link #56
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Here's one of the few national cultural tags I can think of: the endemic self-denial of the waves of obesity across America. I'd class this as a major American cultural dysfunctionality at this point:

Example: vanity sizing (the quiet transformation of clothing sizes so people can pretend they're not fat to themselves). Its been a trend in women's clothing for the last 20 years and now its crept into men's clothing. My wife can attest as a personal example. In 1995, she was a size 4 - since then she's been reclassified as a size 0- this year. The problem is she's exactly the same weight and 3sizes she was 15 years ago. SHE didn't change. She's still 4'11" and 95lbs and the same 3size. However, she's been pretty much shoved out of the women's department where they sell clothing I could use as a car tarp.

As for men... the industry is just flat lying about the waist size now to enable corrosive fantasies:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_709004.html

------
In regard to regional variation and chiming in with FDW .... well, Pacific Northwesters are stereotyped as being mellow coffee drinkers with eclectic hobbies and strong politics (despite the large rural population, the tendency of White Supremacists to hide in the hill country, and the rather intense metro/rural cultural divide).

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-09-08 at 12:17.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote