View Single Post
Old 2008-05-14, 11:38   Link #7
shelter
Every word must conjure

Send a message via MSN to shelter
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I may be a professional writer, but I focus on non-fiction. I realised long ago that convincing fiction is a lot harder to write than I anticipated. I lack the imagination and life experience to paint a picture with words. My mind may be a wilderness of dots waiting to be connected, but it takes inspiration to create a living tapestry of characters. Inspiration, unfortunately, is fleeting.

For what it is worth, here are two stabs at fan-fiction I tried long ago (I posted the second one in AnimeSuki some time ago in another thread - re-posting here for continuity's sake).
It's a decent introduction. Although I'm not really sure what fandom/ genre it belongs to, you've written enough to let it stand alone.

I wrote original fiction some time back too, but I think you need some big/ traumatic/ significant experience to sustain the effort of writing an original story. I find fanfiction is much easier to write: I just put all the usual everyday experiences into a context, with already available characters. Of course, fanfiction always depends on interest towards the fandom; when interest dies, so does the fanfiction.

I counter fleeting inspiration by writing short stories & standalone poetry. Whatever inspiration that happened is just contained within that 1 piece alone. Not very creative, but efficient at least.
shelter is offline   Reply With Quote