View Single Post
Old 2009-03-26, 23:57   Link #292
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Strange, this episode received such great appraisal, but I am completely underwhelmed by this ending. Never has there been so much happening, where I end up feeling like nothing happened. I could not connect with any of the characters in these last two episodes, whereas before I could get an emotional connection. I am very disappointed.

Where to start on my list of what I felt was poor?

One thing is definitely certain, the pacing was completely off these last two episodes. The way the characters have been changing in these last two episodes completely shuns most of the rest of the series. Originally, I felt the series was doing a good job in gradually opening up and developing its characters, but the rapid changes in their psychology in these last two episodes makes everything seem useless. No, I am not talking about Ryuji and Taiga finally recognizing their love for each other.

And after all of this, Ryuji's issue of college vs. work was never resolved. Can anyone correct me or did I completely miss the resolution to this? Saying that he is going to become an adult in front of his mother does not cut it. He also felt completely worthless just an episode ago, wishing that he had not been born. What? When a person feels something like that, the issue does not just go away within a couple of days. Ok, I could believe that Taiga could have healed him, like Ryuji healed Taiga. Here is the problem though, Taiga took over 20 episodes to come to grips with herself. I doubt Ryuji could recover so fast. He did not even make mention of this thought to anyone, including the audience, until he talked to Taiga.

Ryuji's mother is one of the worst characters in this series. She somehow went from this space-cadet mother to an emotional package in an episode and a half. They seriously needed to have added development for her before she stormed out of her place. Ryuji has daddy issues, and his mother obviously did not bear a good enough relationship with him, yet they never make much mention of this beforehand.

One of Toradora's themes, family, was never truly expanded. Ryuji's grandparents never got a proper introduction. Taiga's mother never really got shown, and we got a very mild taste of her father. Perhaps many would feel that the series could make its point without them, but I would not agree. Both of the main character's woes are largely related to family; Taiga feels alone and Ryuji has a conflict of interest with his mother. I would have very much liked more insight into these respective issues.

Minor issue, but I would have liked a little bit more closure on Minorin and Ami. No mention of where their lives are planning to head. Minorin I can only guess that she will go fulfill her softball dreams.

Actually this brings up a much bigger issue for me. Ami was not dealt justice in this show. What are her aspirations? Perhaps my memory is foggy, but does she actually still enjoy her modeling job? Is that what she wants to do for the rest of her life? She talks about it being helpful that there is at least one person out there who understands her, but that person is not going to be there for her anymore. They just graduated! No fear of being isolated again? Eh, I think her character got shafted.

Time skips... Gah... How many freaking times does this happen? I find it ludicrous to think that Ryuji and Taiga would honestly have not met even once in the whole year that passed them by. Ok, it is nice to think that both of them waited for each other all this time, but no matter how anyone tries to sugar coat this plot device, it still sucks. It is pointless.

This genre of anime seriously needs clean up duty with its endings. Too often do they suffer from endings that leave unresolved issues, or unexplained events. I could go on with more ranting, but this is already a big enough wall of text. This episode earns a 6/10 for me, as this ending truly was simply average at best.