Thread: Sailor Stars ^^
View Single Post
Old 2004-01-17, 00:41   Link #31
Fntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
I love my LDs, and there's no way that I'll give them up.

That said, we're going to be doing a couple of older OVAs this summer, and while we won't have fancy comb filters (I've got consumer grade gear from Panasonic), we *will* be skipping some of the interim encoding and doing things the easy way:

LD player -> DV bridge (aka my Sony video camera) -> XviD

Arguably we could go so far as to grab a supergen off eBay, add it to the process, and just encode that as well...

Go Go D1.
Just remember to pay attention to which comb filter you have works best. All the stuff I've been talking about is consumer gear rather than industrial or studio, although it is rather high-end consumer gear.

A lousy comb filter (or worse a high-pass/low-pass filter pair) can hurt your video quality badly.

Also consider investing in a good LD player. The Pioneer CLD-704 can be had for fairly cheap and it is the best of Pioneer's US-sold "regular joe consumer" line (i.e. not counting the Elite line for home theater enthusiast consumers). The CLD-919 LD/DVD combo deck is also an excellent player. Both of these came with adaptive 3-line comb filters that are among the best you can get without going 3D.

A good top end consumer SVHS deck will have a 3D comb filter. The JVC HRS9xxx series (I have a HRS9600U, HRS9911U is current model) comes with them. It's a good way to get a good comb filter without buying pro gear. Using the composite output from your LD player and letting the SVHS deck's comb filter do the Y/C seperation will yield better video quality!

Anyway if you have the right gear LDs can look utterly awesome. For instance the contrast between my Japanese Evangelion LDs played on my CLD-99 (along with the CLD-97 the best US-sold player) and the US DVDs is incredible. Only the new Japanese DVD box (which went back to film masters) manages to look better in comparison.

Anyway good luck on your project. ^^ Pay attention to video quality issues and you will get much better captures.

::edit::

And oh yah, D1 kicks ass but the tapes are HUGE and short and EXPENSIVE. Much better to use a lossless codec on a computer and save it to hard disk (and burn off across many DVD-Rs if you want archival).
Fntc is offline   Reply With Quote