View Single Post
Old 2011-04-01, 03:08   Link #2129
Antinomical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
Well, I personally don't see Kyuubey as a force of nature, my point is that he seems to be pulling off that impression. I could even go as far as to suspect that his whole lecture in ep 9 might have been about this. Yes, audience-san, this IS a villain of the show, but he's dealing with far greater goals, he does not percieve evil, he even fails to feel emotions and ACT like your traditional villain - so turning this show into an anti-Kyuubey crusade would be pointless.
I think so too. I think it would be rather unfair to view Kyubey as the typical villain with clearly evil objectives. Whatever his motivation, the very act of trying to justify (for many of us, I doubt he actually succeeded) his actions redeems him from the stereotypical evil villain. Instead of merely explaining his actions Kyubey puts the question to Madoka, "If you feel like dying for the universe, we'll be waiting". Madoka's death saves the universe. Is it not that much different from a heroic sacrifice. The difference, and the reason why we hate Kyubey (I think), is that Kyubey fails to see the morality problem we all do. That there is something wrong when someone sacrifices himself/herself to save others, when he/she is not even aware of making that choice.

Kyubey's evil lies simply in that he has a different morality, one that is focused on simply achieving objectives. Even by the standards of other alien beings, Kyubey could very well be evil. But I think the point here is not if Kyubey is an evil villain, but that if Kyubey is even a villain. If the only way his species knows to stop a natural disaster from occurring is to trick Sayaka, Mami and the girls, is he wrong to do so? I think the deeper question here is, if the only way to save a 10000 people is by killing 100 other people, would you do it? Which is more wrong? To let 10000 people die, or to kill 100? Depending on how you see it, Kyubey may be a villain, or he may not.