View Single Post
Old 2012-02-17, 15:50   Link #42
Random32
Also a Lolicon

What is TDP:

Intel TDP - If you put the CPU at true 100% load (power virus), it can go over TDP at stock clock no turbo. In addition, Intel's turbo doesn't really respect TDP that well either since its more heat based than power consumption based, though Turbo on desktop doesn't tend to put the chip over TDP as much as laptop turbo. Ivy Bridge introduces a configurable maximum power draw I believe.

AMD TDP - For CPU's its the most the CPU will ever draw at stock settings worst case scenario (at least for servers, not sure about desktop/mobile). Turbo is power consumption capped I believe. For server CPU's and graphics cards, the maximum power draw is configurable. It would be nice if configurable TDP came to mobile/desktop, but it sadly doesn't seem like thats happening any time soon.

nV TDP - It's what the chip draws in what nV thinks is an average usage scenario. It's pretty far from the maximum it can draw doing a real world activity and even further away from what it can actually draw when you specifically try to make it consume more power.

tl;dr. Other than for AMD, TDP is an average real world 100% load power draw, not a worst case scenario power draw.

I wouldn't recommend going for the lower power PSU suggested by Kitame. Anyways, a good PSU means one component you won't have to buy again if you want to upgrade.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote