View Single Post
Old 2012-12-01, 05:38   Link #39
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It's interesting that Shun alludes to Freud's Iceberg theory of the concious and the unconscious (Not subconscious). According to Shun, their cantus comes from their unconscious which does certainly make it dangerous. It's great that they're explaining more about where the cantus comes from even if it is a heavily subjective and unscientific model of the human psyche (though at least they gave Shun's state a sciencey sounding name: Hashimoto Appelbaum syndrome? Sounds legit). It does, however, explain why something like hypnosis can block it.

What I don't understand is that if cantus users did go through evolution/natural selection due to their incredibly competitive environment, then why does such self destructive syndrome like this still exist as a strong possibility in all cantus users to the extent that they require such a strict society to control it?

Nevertheless, that was a hugely distressing episode. I thought the fate Shun read out load and was foreshadowed was something we were hearing through the biased lens of the society they live in but it turns out that cruel society has a point. I mean if this is really the result then what else can they do? I figured that the reason Shun behaved in that detached way he did was because he was aware of his own mortality, but I didn't stop to think that the threat might actually be internal. In that respect, the threat the show kept on radiating from the society they live in was one incredibly well played red herring.

Btw, I recognised Shigeyasu Yamauchi's distinctive style in less than ten seconds.
I didn't think his style worked in episode 5 but it was much better in this one.