View Single Post
Old 2013-02-15, 13:54   Link #87
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
We're not claiming it will be good in the end, the award is "best ONGOING" not "NEXT best TV/Movie/etc." It's not good in the end we're awarding in the category, but "good up to this moment." I'm all for changing the category name if there's this misconception that it's giving them more credit then they deserve; but I feel "best ongoing" is pretty self explanatory.
These awards I thought were a means of spreading the word about notable series that we think deserve exposure. If the series suddenly turns for the worse or becomes less notable than other ongoing shows right after the awards, then we just awarded something that didn't deserve it. This makes no sense to me.

People are just being impatient and there is absolutely no reason we should be tailoring to this.

Quote:
One of the points of the category is to get people to start following some of the current shows (I know I have), their endings have nothing to do with anything; in fact them ending might sway the votes since it's better for the category if we get "shows that are enjoyable to follow" instead of "shows with payoff at the end" (since the payoff ones are a gamble vote). For what it's worth entire franchises can eventually flop hard, it's all just a matter of how far into the future you want to look. Since sometimes the journey is more important then how shitty the ending was the destination, it makes sense to have this category even if we don't consider the whole "award incompleteness argument" for which it was conceived. Also there are some shows such as say Minami-ke where "the ending" just doesn't apply. There's is no "ending" since a series like that is episodic and the over arching plot is of little concern. For shows like that even if they start sucking from this point forward it really doesn't matter, it's well worth it to watch them to this point and stop. Also in the case of shows like that it wouldn't be completely untrue to claim our format is very disadvantageous for them if they have to be judged after an entire year.
We're here to give awards to series that we feel represent the best of the best. Best of the ongoing series offers what distinguishment? Say what you will, but this category could almost be named "What ongoing Fall/Winter show has been the best for 20 or 8 episodes?" Great, so keep watching these series until this point and then after that we don't know. What kind of award is that? We shouldn't be awarding incomplete jobs like this. Our Minami-Ke's of the anime world don't matter. Episodic series still need to show that they can entertain all throughout to earn any praise.

Quote:
What the fanboys wanted to advertised is of no concern. People complained about how current shows are shafted and how the contest is incomplete, so we made the ongoing category. It's just one category and more of a honorable mention, but it serves to allow for any show to be represented. Altering the category to serve some niche doesn't make sense, if that niche is noteworthy then it's best represented by making a genre for it.
Yeah except the main examples brought up were shows like Space Brothers and Hunter x Hunter. Doesn't seem like this award helped them out too much eh? It seems that this category is just going to be dominated by 1-2 cour shows from winter/fall. That isn't really what I call a good award. Look at Chihayafuru. People didn't forget about it from last year and it managed to upset Fate/Zero this year for best of the year. People need to stop complaining about anything getted shafted. If the series is good enough, people will remember it and vote for it in the appropriate year.

Quote:
Do we have their problems? Do they have our problems? So then... why do we need their problems? Looking at them for inspiration is good enough. Some of the contests you're thinking of are deeply rooted in tradition. Even if they thought they should change, change is very hard for them. Emulating their handicap isn't going to solve anything.
No we shouldn't blindly copy them, but change for the sake of change is meaningless. I just don't see how giving anything to something incomplete is in the spirit of an award ceremony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
1) Since when are these professional awards. These are fan awards.

2) They did serve a purpose because they tell us about a good series that started in 2012 and has not finished yet.
1) Then why all the formalities here? Why not just make a thread about what you thought the best of the year was? This is a fan's awards, but we're administrating this in a more professional way. People were complaining about the lack of voter turnout, and I think that might partially have to do with the lack of weight these awards hold on the website. People don't feel attached to them precisely because they don't seem to hold any weight or meaning. I picked out a category that I thought doesn't hold any meaning.

2) So why not name this award the 2/3 award? Award series based on their first two thirds. If their first two thirds were great, nominate it. It had an awesome start and all. How is this notable at all honestly?

Quote:
Although it's not always the case often shows that started one year with 2 or more cours but end in the first cour of the next year are at a disadvantage because people end up forgetting about them.
If they were forgotten that easily, they must have not been that notable. Why are we awarding them then? Chihayafuru showed us this year just fine that such series can and do win.

Quote:
If there are stronger shows than Psycho Pass & Shin Sekai Yori in 2013 the awards next year will reflect that, if not they will win awards in 2013. I don't really see what the big deal is that there is one award given to a show that is ongoing. The very nature of the award tells us we aren't awarding it for being complete but awarding it for the fact that while it is not finished we are enjoying this show very much.

Also no one ever said the award is only for shows that have no ending in sight. If people wanted to vote for those shows, obviously they are eligible but just because people didn't does not mean this award didn't serve a purpose.
That's exactly the point. The big deal here is that we are trying to give meaningful distiguishment to series that we thought represented the best of the best. With something so fleeting as "on-going," the award could lose all meaning within the span of a few weeks to a couple months.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote