Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-07, 20:15   Link #1518
The Green One

Saki's +/- 0 has been her survival instinct in Mahjong since she was little, it's how she's been able to control her points to avoid winning or losing in games, and obviously it makes her skilled enough, or incomprehensible enough, to win reliably against Teru the queen monster herself.

This is just how she exerts her maximum, at the moment, ability to control the game and accomplish her goals which now actually involve winning. Almost all the players with "special" skills rely on them to unleash their maximum power, Saki's really isn't the Rinshan Kaihou, but her freaky point manipulation abilities which she happens to accomplish most frequently with the Rinshan. In every game she's won in the series she's controlled the table and game this way, it's just how she rolls. With the English translation of 99 we have a bit more context, it seems it really wasn't intentional by Saki that Himematsu advance, it's just the results of the seating, a different arrangement would of caused a different result. Saki may have been aiming for +/- 0 which involved the specific player sitting in a specific spot scoring a specific hand which happened to be Himematsu by chance.

Sure maybe the author arranged that but not Saki. The scene about the advisor asking Himematsu's captain, who's name currently escapes me, if she wants to get stronger then Saki, I suppose that's to give her something to keep her competitive in the next round. Saki's smile on page 12 seemed to be more of just a normal, "Alright, round complete and I won!"

From all the previews from the anime it's obvious that Saki will win again in some fashion to make it to the finals, this tournament is more of her journey and evolution to reach the Champion level class and take her place on that stage. This game was her debut in the nationals to show off what she's capable of doing. The next round will be where she undoubtedly faces her first true test of her skill as well as hereself, how she overcomes that will determine just what kind of girl will advance to face her destiny.

The evil freaky +/- 0 monster, or something else entirely.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote