View Single Post
Old 2010-06-25, 14:09   Link #10
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The ending had a nice touch, but it certainly didn't cover all the missing plot portions and the like (backstory of many characters, notably odd balls like Shiina and TK for instance).

But I guess this was the least "problematic" presentation they could have done, with only 1 episode.
I must say that the plot twist regarding Kanade wasn't that surprising (I was actually speculating that, except I didn't expect Kanade among all characters to be that person, still), but it certainly ties with a lot of things (far fetched assumption, but perhaps that also explain why Kanade stabbed Yuzuru).

For all it is worth, I'm not really buying the "romance" between Kanade and Yuzuru considering how the attachment was pretty ambigous, and not really romance driven (the only "obvious" portion of that was Yuzuru blushing when he invited Kanade for the fishing party, and that's not really convincing if you ask me), but it still has some bases for it.
That being said, the farewell scene was well done (albeit the fate of Yuzuru could have gone extremely wrong => similar to the programmer, I guess), and the post ending sequence sort of clear things (thank goodness the coma / matrix theory was pretty much nullified with that).

This series really needed more time to flesh everyone out. That or a VN format (I would rather have the latter but heh).
And no, I don't think removing all the comedy would have done any good: it would dramatically turn the franchise into a very gloomy and not so empathic environment for the characters. That wouldn't allow more development for the cast either so to speak.