View Single Post
Old 2007-10-22, 16:50   Link #15
Onniguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchMageZeratuL View Post
Why are you upscaling to 848x480, and before any crop, at that? Just crop 8 pixels on each side and leave it like that, making it anamorphic on the container. Also, if you're doing DVDs, you should be using Yatta, anyway.
Did you not follow the link or read the extraction from A&E?

I'm just following their instructions...

If you are editing NTSC anamorphic 720x480 footage then you should make graphics at 848x480 and resize to 720x480. If you are editing PAL anamorphic 720x576 footage at then you should make graphics at 1024x576 and resize to 720x576.

This is from A&E official guide. If you don't like it, don't complain to me...complain to them, or have them change their guide.

Edit: just adding that, even this "beta" version of their guide is a couple years old, and they were writing toward encoding with XviD, not h264. As mentor has noted for me elsewhere, the best bet for state-of-the-art h264 encodes is to leave in crop 8 pixels each side, leave it animorphic at 704x480, and let the viewers player take care of the rest.

None the less, the approach written above was valid once-upon a time, or A&E would not have put it in their guide...
Onniguru is offline   Reply With Quote