View Single Post
Old 2011-11-01, 18:12   Link #44
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Funny how people toss their opinion about first names.
Nagisa can work, just said with an english tongue they'll be a natural stress on the gi

NaGIsa.
It won't sound the same as the japanese, but it fits enough.
(It reminds me of the 'ghetto' names like Teniqua or Kaisha, or Devina)
Same with Naomi, I'd never consider it Japanese simply cause the stress we place on it in english makes it sound completely different and we grew up with it in the west.
NaOHmi
Like Na-RU-TOH

I'm from the crowd of having a very rare/unique name UK wise and I love it. I prefered not to be sharing my name with others and often got commented that it was beautiful.
Kids being kids will try to make a joke outta anything, so many tried to find rhymes that would fit my name or try to dissect it to make a joke (usually lame ones)
Nagisa doesn't bring much connotations in english to be bullied with as far as i can think of.
I can only think of potential Japanese ones ^^;

Lineage usually ties in with people's surnames, so rather, take in account your surname as well with the first name when you decide. Rather than anything, my surname was what I was conscious of, it was severly mispronounced by white native British peeps, especially in primary school and if anything was potentially bullied for.
But you cannot change a surname as easily as you can a first name which many americans just initialise it or use a completely different nickname.
Beside for jobs it's usually surnames, which employers use to ID pple and where we can tell what kinda country or race someone may be.

Mr N Li
Miss A Sakamoto
Mr K Brown
Mr D Rodrigez
Ms T Ahmed

Otherwise its not so bad, better than 99% of celebrities baby's names which are just beyond ridiculous because they're kids of celebs. One has to wonder how they'll fit in the long run

I'll leave you to decide who these belong to:
Memphis Eve
Maddox
Destry
Sage Moonblood (first and middle name)
Coco
Apple
Pilot Inspektor
Kal-El
(These are only top 11-20) xD

(some from the 10-1 list)
Audio Science
Rocket
Ocean

See, Nagisa? Totally fine. xD

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote