View Single Post
Old 2006-03-07, 15:58   Link #1
poyorick

The "Erolutions" Syndrome

Hi guys and gals,

I thought I'd sound you all out about an interesting phenomenon in ecchi anime. One thing I've always enjoyed in anime is the "gray area" a lot of the shows visit when they flirt with erotic subject matter. Even the most innocent little romantic/school life/comedy show will give up a little fanservice for the older viewers out there.

But something I've discovered that I like a lot is those shows that take it even further, shows that are dressed like typical harem or romance anime, but which take the nudity and sex about as far as possible for a non-H show. Essentially, I've discovered I kind of like softcore hentai (yeah, yeah, I know - "what's the point of that?")

One such show was "Girls Bravo" which was sometimes too sweet, too goofy or too dumb, but had some nice character designs and basically ponied up the fanservice big time. I thought that this show would be the ultimate in this kind of genre. And then I saw "Green Green."

Frankly, a lot of the comedy was really crass and disturbing, but the erotic elements were pretty outstanding. Now, I know that a lot of folks look down on these kinds of shows (though "Shuffle!" - also based on an H-game - seems to be well loved), but, what can I say, I'm a perv and I like 2-D naked chicks.

And when I discovered that a "13th episode" was out there - one which took the romantic relationships in the show to "the next level", I immediately tracked it down.

A lot of people who've reviewed "Green Green Erolutions" hated it. They thought it somehow sullied the "good name" of the original show by including some sex scenes which weren't as nastily graphic as genuine H (thank goodness) but which were definitely a step beyond the innuendos and non sexual nudity of the previous 12 episodes. Well, I don't know about those reviewers, but I liked it. Frankly, I wish it had been a little longer mainly so they could have done a little more with the characters' stories and still had time for the sex.

Even more than the show itself, I dug the whole concept of it. The idea of an "adults only" sequel to a more innocent show is kind of, well, hot.

So here I am asking what you guys think about this kind of thing. Anybody else think it'd be great if the studios that produced shows like "Girls Bravo," "Love Hina," "DearS," "Magikano," "Ai Yori Aoshi," "Amaenai De Yo!," etc. were to do "direct to DVD" sequels for adults that allowed their sexually frustrated characters to finally have their happy (naked) endings? Right now it looks like the only studio that kind of aims in that direction is M.O.E. ("Love, Love?," "Smash Hit," "Cosprayers") but their stuff is too full of lolitas for my comfortability.

Am I the only one out there who thinks it'd be cool to see more projects like "Green Green Erolutions" (but better done)?
poyorick is offline   Reply With Quote