View Single Post
Old 2006-03-08, 15:15   Link #14
Gaia
ROW! ROW! FIGHT DA POWAH!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Sad thing, is I too am a part of that genre. It's called jigyaku in Japanese - you intentionally insult yourself. Even if you aren't, you are still looked upon as that by the majority of the populace. Hey, if you had a life, you would be enjoying "normal" things like tennis and skiing, listening to "real" JPOP, being among the crowd. However, enjoying normal things and watching anime, than you are labelled watching anime = childish loser > living a normal life as well.

See, that's whole thing about living in Japan - if you feel insulted, you feel that you are low. If you don't like it, change yourself to become "normal" like the rest of the populace. If you don't care, then do so as you please - you will still be looked at as a low-life kimo-ota until you change your ways.

Perhaps you are still mistaken - it's intended for adults who are otakus. Normal adults don't watch anime. They have "regular" lives like hanging out with co-workers, going golfing with their peers, working massive overtime to avoid being fired ("restructured") in a stagnating economy.
Your posts are very interesting. I learn a lot from them... So japan is probably like densha otoko without the romance part?
Well, it's different here, cause most of the people dont even know what "real" anime is. I used to hang around with a middle aged (30-40) couple, both "real" ota's. They've worn Cool Devices T-Shirts in the city, but it was completly tolerated by the others, since now one knew what it is.
It's still easy to get a semi-goodlooking~goodling girlfriend with same interests here, as an ota. There are three big convention every year... many otaku's go there, while looking for a partner. Often with luck.
I just mention this point, cause I remember, that you've made a post about moving to north europe, if you're able to get an girlfriend there, or am I mistaken? Schleswig-Holstein was also mentioned, so it might be a point to think about.
I've planned to move to japan, after studying. I hope it wont be a big mistake, since I'm also one these stereotypical "nerd-ota's", even if I see it with different eyes.

Back to the topic... I was never able to watch one of these DVD bonus', but it made me more interested. Sadly, it's hard to import these kind of things, cause the package wont make it over the border to 90%.

Aesir

Last edited by Gaia; 2006-03-08 at 15:29.
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote