View Single Post
Old 2013-03-02, 18:31   Link #38
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
To have racism in the series we need an actual race or nationality that is being oppressed.

The reason why things like the magic negro or the noble savage are an issue is because they apply to real people who were misrepresented in the media.

What are the monster rats the equivalent of and how does that apply to Japan (although Japan does have their own oppressed minorities)?

I am not saying the humans have treated the Bakenezumi right but that trope is not being used here because no one is being oppressed here outside the fictional characters.
That's not how I see it at all.

Group A is in a position of power over Group B and judges Group B. Group B threatens group A, but a mamber of Group B chooses to aid Group A instead of Group B, thereby legitimating the power structures in place.

That behavioural pattern is the same whoever the groups are. I don't need to make 1:1 comparisons to real life situations to recognise a narrative pattern. And my reactions to that pattern is pretty much the same, whether it's realistic or SF/F.

[And there are people who would disagree with you that speciesism is not a thing. ~ ETA: I typed my reply before you edited yours. ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
edit: Okay speciesm is a thing but I think we really need to separate that from racism & I am not really sure it applies to this series either.
ETA: Yes, being precise helps. You may be right and it doesn't apply to the series. We'll see. I'd be disappointed, though.