Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-29, 15:01   Link #4770
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
How exactly does a failure of some third world Islamic country to give it's people freedom of religion make it right for a first world nation to do the same? Not to mention that most third world Islamic countries still allow religious minorities to practice their faith openly, though sometimes with unofficial oppression by the majority. There might be ways to justify the ban, but saying "well they don't let 'us' practice our religion in their countries" is certainly not one of them. Though I can't really think of any that would either so yeah.
You're making it look like all countries in the middle east are third world. That's not entirely true. Would you consider the UAE a third world country when it's normal for people to be earning three times as much money as anyone in the middle-class in other developped countries? Egypt and Saudi Arabia can't really be considered third world either when they're some of the leading oil providers around the world. I'm sure you've heard of OPEC, and SA just happens to be top of the list there.

Also note that I said some, not all. I'm not making a general statement that public practice is prohibited in the middle east. I know very well that countries like Egypt and Lebanon allow public practice of christianity. The fact still remains that public practice isn't allowed in SA and other countries when muslims are free to do as they like virtually everywhere in the world. Besides, what does being a third world country have anything to do with making religious practice public for foreigners in the first place? You can argue that they are dictatorships, but it's wrong to associate dictatorship with lack of freedom and fear mongering, especially when democracy doesn't really bring all the freedom it preaches and democratic media is specialized in the fear aspect.

Last edited by Tsuyoshi; 2009-11-29 at 15:21.