View Single Post
Old 2012-04-02, 13:23   Link #1
warita
Dai-Youkai

When japanese look western and westerners behave japanese

I have observed a slight shift in character design recently. Anime characters have less often crazy hair color (such as pink, blue, green or red) and more increasingly all shades of brown, black, grey and blond. Aka existing hair colors, although not all of them natural for Japan.

This is especially true, when it is a slice of life or school life series. This is a good development for me, as I always felt annoyed by the crazy hair colors.... and I still am, when they design a japanese girl with blond hair and blue eyes, but a japenese name. I mean, wth?

But then I remembered, that sometimes you get to see the odd westerner behaving in a japanese way and somehow, this feels even more out of place. A good example would be, when the westerner bows to greet people or when appologizing.... you know, the japanese way. Westerners just dont to that kind of things (and here I mean westerners that are not in Japan).

What are your thoughts on japanese characters looking western and westerners behaving japanese? Do you consider crazy hair colors part of the charm anime has, or would you be indifferent, if it completely disappeared??
warita is offline   Reply With Quote