View Single Post
Old 2012-07-27, 14:22   Link #49
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
No concrete evidence, no. But looking solely at what has been shown in the anime, we basically know this about Yui:

1. Father was someone important in the military
2. Uncle is a colonel of some importance involved in developing military prototypes (what's the XFJ project developing btw?)
3. Family has a privileged position as a vassal of the Shogun
4. Was a good trainee, probably near the top of her class (in dueling other TSFs at least).
5. Was totally overwhelmed in combat and unable to function well tactically and emotionally on the battlefield.

Beyond that, it's all guessing. Based on the five points above, it would make the most sense that Yui is a competent pilot who lacks tactical awareness, and although not blatantly unqualified for her posting, she most likely got it over other candidates due to her family name.

Of course, since series seems to have somewhat of a pro-nationalist bent to it, she'll probably turn out to be an exceptional pilot whose "spiritual superiority" allows her to defeat the arrogant foreigner Yuuya and show him that the Japanese way is the best.
All good points.
The XFJ plan is to develop the next Main stream TSF that will become the Backbone force of the IJA- Imperial Japan Army. And to replace the Type 94 shiranui.

And as part of the Imperial Royal guards---the direct military arm that can only be ordered by the Shogunate. They are held as more"elite" than the Regulars in the IJA. And i would assume that as a frontline country fighting in a war for survival, Japan would not be in the business of keeping Incompetent officers in key positions so most likely in this show she is going to be the type of pilot that like you said is going to one who have achieved "spiritual superiority" and will kick a lot of ass because of it.

also minor spoiler because this part was literally in the prologue of the novels ,but the anime choose to skip over it.
Spoiler for Why yui was chosen for this position.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
Do you have any evidence that Yui is an elite member of the Japanese military due to her individual skill and accomplishment and not her family name? Do you have any evidence that she has fought in a battle other than the one shown in episode 2, where Yui's squad was obliterated, Yui lost it mentally, and only survived due to luck and the actions of others?

I'm asking seriously here. People in this thread and others keep claiming she has all this experience and skill, but where's the evidence for that? That she isn't dead? That five years ago she beat another 16 year old girl in TSF kendo?
If you want Evidence only from the anime only then no I can not provide any. But the source material covers all of this if you really want to know and be spoiled about the novel.

Also considering that i have seen grown man becoming gibbering wrecks after their first IED strike experience in Afghanistan, i won't blame some 14 year old Japanese girl for being emotionally and mentally overwhelmed by what she had to face with during her first taste of combat. In fact i would categorize that has having done pretty well.

Last edited by Angrypokstick; 2012-07-27 at 14:44.