Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-16, 00:57   Link #3005
cedec0

Quote:
Well here's something I thought I'd never do, have to defend Shiraitodai.
Sorry, I am going to make you defend Shiraitodai again.

Quote:
Teru didn't use her full power in the semi-finals. She's going to use what she couldn't in the semi-finals in the finals.
Sumire can play well without her ability, also I think Sumire will find out about her tell, also I think she may know how to actually hit speedy hands.
Takami still has the chance for a yakuman spam, meaning a real challenge for both Hisa and Ako having to overcome.
Seiko ...No comment
Awai has not had her ability defeated, Himeko's key stops her 5 shaten, Ryuuka has limited foresight uses, and iit seems Shizu needs to take a while before her ability starts to take effect. Also Awai's kan ability is pretty much built to challenge Saki for the dead wall.
Also Awai having her ability related to kan, really makes her seem like a replacement for Saki to Teru.
You seem to be arguing that, because Shiraitodai is powerful and would do well in the finals, that is why they will win the semi-finals. In the real world, that would be a good arguement, but not necessarily in the Saki universe.

I might be wrong, but the key criteria to determine which team (other than Achiga) will advance is not their strength, but "which team would make the finals more interesting". In other words, the team which would make the finals the most fun to watch stands the best chance of advancing. Boring characters and abilities lower a team chances and popular characters with interesting abilities raise a team's chances. Using this metric, Shiraitodai's chances are poor, especially compared to Senriyama.

Think about which player from each team would make the vanguar/Sergeant/lieutenant/vice-captain/captain battle most interesting in the final.

;--------------------------------

VANGUARD POSITION

1) Shiraitodai: Miyanaga Teru

No question that Teru is insanely strong, but that is not necessarilly good for her chances. There are two possibilities if Teru makes the final, both of which don't really work:

A) Vanguard battle is carbon copy of what happens in the semi-finals. Three or four chapters of Teru kicking everyone's ass while racking up points. Powerful yes, but BORING AS HELL (especially if you are right about Teru "not using her full power in the semi-finals.").
B) Teru does poorly in vandard battle. Saki's invinsible sister is no longer invincible. (increadibly unlikely)

Do you really want to read another four chapters of everyone desperately trying to stop Teru's rampage? Or do you want to see the all-powerful Teru do poorly (win by less then 30000)?

Teru getting to the finals just doesn't really work.

2) Senriyama: Onjouji Toki

One of the most popular characters with a very fun ability. Seeing her struggle against more powerful opponents would be more fun than watching another Teru massacre.

3) Shindouji: Hanada Kirame

Barely better than a Teru massacre, but still boring. She doesn't add anything to Vanguard battle.

SERGEANT POSITION

1) Shiraitodai: Hirose Sumire

Hard to see her as being that interesting. With her tell exposed (good chance other schools might pick up on it too), it would be hard to use her arrows. Without her arrows, she is just a good player without a particularly interesting personality. She won't do badly in terms of points, but it won't be that interesting.

2) Senriyama: Nijou Izumi

Hard to tell. If she can avoid being dominated again, she could potential be interesting. Personallity wise more interesting than Hirose, but still blah.

3) Shindouji: Yasukouchi Yoshiko

She is a robot right? No personallity/emotions when playing mahjong. Not interesting, but not really worse than the two other possibilities.

LIEUTENANT POSITION

1) Shiraitodai: Shibuya Takami

Potentially powerful, but not interesting. A bland character with a borring ability. Sure she could potentially win a lot of points if she is dealer last, but would that make up for her doing nothing the rest of the time?

Verdict: equally boring as another Teru massacre.

2) Senriyama: Eguchi Sera

No special abilities, but one of the more interesting character. Even if she loses points, watching her would be more interesting than Shibuya Takami and her boring ability.

3) Shindouji: Ezaki Hitomi

Do we really want to listen to her again, as she conplains "it is all the government's fault" as she loses points like mad? (the posibility of her doing well is zero (in my opinion))

VICE-CAPTAIN POSITION

1) Shiraitodai: Matano Seiko

least powerful member of Shiraitodai, and not that interesting either. Don't really want to see her get her ass kicked again.

2) Senriyama: Funakubo Hiroko

Awsome character, powerful too. Would be ten times more fun to watch in the finals than Matano Seiko. Would also be really interesting to see how she stacks up against Nodoka.

3) Shindouji: Shirouzu Mairu

Finally, a member of Shindouji that is interesting, powerful, and has a fun ability. More mahjong bondage.

CAPTAIN POSITION

1) Shiraitodai: Oohoshi Awai

All three captains are powerful and interesting.

2) Senriyama: Shimizudani Ryuuka

3) Shindouji: Tsuruta Himeko

Judging by "which team would make the finals more interesting", Senriyama wins hands down with only one potentially uninteresting player. Although their chances of winning might be lower than Shiraitodai, watching them would be fun, and that is why I see them as the team most likely to advance after Achiga.

Last edited by cedec0; 2013-02-16 at 03:08.
cedec0 is offline   Reply With Quote