View Single Post
Old 2007-05-11, 01:15   Link #47
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I remember something about singing the song in the spirit of the anime. Everything except for that one came from an action show with testosterone-driven songs. Seems consistent to me.
I don't buy it, there's more to it than that. I'll believe it if I see them do another slow song by Konata that isn't from Kadokawa Shoten and is sung true to the opening. Aside from that, what makes an action song more open to complete butchering than a sappy love song, that's what I want to know. I can't help but accuse the writers of that line of seriously faulty thinking and reasoning. The kind that results from trying to find a quick fix to explain away conflict of interest (You know like the kind politicians give).

I don't think anyone will ever be able to convince me that "Singing the Song In The Spirit of The Anime" is a good enough excuse for butchering action openings, but being faithful to cheesy love song openings. I also think there's a huge distinction from what I see as bad karaoke versions of the action songs and a lounge singing performance of another. The disparity in overall quality is just to great to call both being in the spirit of the anime. To me if I were singing something like Chala-Head-Chala I would be aiming to sing on key and to do the song justice, just as much as if I were trying to sing a slow melodic song.

The message I got from their "Singing Songs In The Spirit Of The Anime" was that Action series are inferior to Romantic Comedy (Which as much as Fumoffu is from a larger continuity of mecha action is really what it is in its own right) and undeserving of an all-out effort. To me that was at least initially, a pretty huge insult to a person that happens to be a fan of said genre, so they might as well have been better off not trying to explain it through Konata's mouth at all, because it backfired horribly in my opinion and only served to upset me.

Lately though I've been wondering if I can blame them really. Recently I have said that Kyoto Animation/Kadokawa Shoten have become legendary to me for their lack of tact in dealing with people respectfully and honestly (including their own staff) other than their direct fanbase to the point where I'm becoming desensitized to it. That's why I'm willing to let it slide as the onus is on them to prove to me convincingly that they aren't playing favourites, not on my to buy their explanations at face value. Since they regularly fail to do this, I have nothing left to say and will just laugh derisively in their direction the same way I do whenever Bush does something ridiculous. To me their policies are more approaching sad and amusing than annoying as the days go by.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-05-11 at 01:36.