Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-09, 05:21   Link #2480
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridBloodsZak View Post
Here you go, Voyager Entertainment has the license

http://starblazers.com/news.html#130703
Voyager Entertainment produced the show and they are offering the show for international sales through their US office in Los Angeles. They are not distributing it themselves — they are the licensor and they are waiting to sign deals with potential licensees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
I don't think they had ever mentioned tachyons whatsoever in the original. It makes more sense using gravitons and/or gravitational wave as a theory which I favor as a student of theoretical physics anyways.
Yes, Tachyons are indeed mentioned in the original series — that's how I heard the term for the first time — when Chief Engineer Tokugawa explains the Wave Motion Engine to Kodai and Shima in the second episode, IIRC. Okita mentions it again, when explaining the Wave Motion Gun to the two young space cadets in the next episode, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
After the uproar over "Argo" in the subtitles while the Japanese audio says "Yamato" in the trailer, it's got a rocky start.
Just to clarify; these things we're seeing are just promotional tools to sell the series to a potential licensee. None of them have to use any of the translations or name changes that are in these promos — that will be up to the licensee. If Funimation buys the series, it will be sub and dub, and you can bet your bottom dollar that the English Subtitles will be faithful translations of the Japanese dialogue. As for the English Dub, they most likely would be a straight dub of the transliterated Japanese dialogue — or a dub based on the STAR BLAZERS names and situations. They don't even have to use the name "Star Blazers" if they don't want to. That is, unless there's some clause in Voyager's licensing contracts — but I don't see how any potential licensee would want to sign such a restrictive contract. Unless there's going to be some ancillary products from Voyager involved...

Still, I have the Japanese Blu-rays, so ultimately it doesn't matter too much for me.

Last edited by August138; 2013-07-09 at 11:41.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote