View Single Post
Old 2011-12-04, 15:42   Link #54
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post

I'm getting Eva vibes from this show, starting with episode 20. Ever since last episode this has moved beyond "storytelling" into "legend" territory. This show is trying to same something meaningful. Whether it will succeed or not remains to be seen.

Considering the obvious references to Aum in Penguin Drum, and now these Eva tendancies, I found these quotes interesting:

I can't help but wonder at the significant anime originals this year that are making philosophical statements.

Penguin Drum is one.
Madoka is another.

One thing for sure, if I'm getting Eva vibes, then bad stuff is going to happen to the characters.
These quotes you've posted are some of the most amazing, insightful and interesting ones I've heard out of Japanese creators in a long time. I actually just saw Okada's Wings of Honneamise and was kind of startled and reawoken yet again to just how vastly different the goals for anime seem to have been back then compared to now. If Penguin Drum really is going down the road of trying to make a much needed point yet again then I think it's time to start watching and supporting it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
OTOH, some modern philosophers take the view that forgiving without requiring others to change is self-destructive, and perpetuates a dysfunctional relationship by continually rewarding immoral behavior.
I used to follow the forgiving without requiring others to change philosophy but have lately found the same thing, it'll just lead to those people exploiting the crap out of you because they feel no chance at retribution of any sort. I personally used to believe that people were good natured by default, but lately through experience I've found that while people won't necessarily go out of their way to screw you over so to speak, if it's in full benefit to them and they sense no consequences, there's usually no instilled belief system or code of honor/conduct so to speak that will hold them back from doing so like their was for prior generations. In some ways while we've progressed a lot as a society from previous generations in terms of civil liberties and decreased discrimination, we could also stand to learn a thing or two from them as well when it comes to manners, a sense of honor and dignity and social conduct.

In short we kind of need to start keeping each other in check a little bit again without worrying so much about political correctness, but also without being outright discriminatory and antagonistic towards one another. It's a delicate balance between being somewhat selfish without outright just becoming a completely dysfunctional member of society.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-12-04 at 16:20.