View Single Post
Old 2012-07-20, 18:42   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
To me at least his acts make no sense outside of mental illness. No matter how evil a person might be he is still human and therefore his evil acts have very specific motivations, but this men killed a bunch of strangers on a cinema night. Unless some later news give us some kind of clue that the killings were motivated by religion, race, politics, vengance, whatever I see no reason to think this attack was the act of a sane man.
You... really don't know very much about the human mind I'm gathering There's a large percentage of humanity that literally doesn't "give a f*" about anyone outside their circle and as others point out - would kill people just on impulse. They are sane - they just have different values. It only becomes pathological if they care about *no one* outside of themself (sociopathic, psychopathic, etc).

Sanity isn't based on cultural niceties - its a specific medical diagnosis. It *may* be that he was developing schizophrenia (age of mid-20s is when that disease often manifests) but I could argue that your listed motivations are also marks of insanity if we're taking cultural meme choice as the basis of sanity.