View Single Post
Old 2012-03-18, 12:01   Link #72
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

For a penultimate episode, ep 21 really achieve little to the extent I wonder if they are seriously thinking in finishing it with a single episode.

Really, it has been stated several times before, but GC lacks a lot in the story development and consistency, despite its detailed presentation. Introducing shady organization so lately was already a mistake, but still encompassing such organization with only -1- character and nameless grunts don't cut it at all, especially if they don't even bother explaining the rest. And behold, the said character is no more. Fantastic way to write off the said organization /sarcasm.

What baffles me more however is the fact they really pushed their luck into trying to make Gai "sympathetic" or at least "complex", while his obvious regrets towards Inori and Shu are arguably forced and contradicting with his ruthless demeanor ever since his "rebirth" (which was still no explained).
Facade? Hardly credible after all things considered, and this episode nearly dispel the possibility of brainwashing, despite his role apposed on him was awkward and sudden (why was he chosen to be a king anyway? Oh right, more Da'ath shenanigan still left in the dark). Overall, painting Gai as a "tragic" character hardly worked: in fact, it turns him into a very inconsistent light and leads to question to his "wish", that really didn't seem to match his past, nor his memories with Mana and Shu.

I could also mention the irritating tropes such as "dungeon leading to mid boss room", religious references abuse, Daryl being... "daryl" I guess, etc.

Really, GC suffers way too much from the fact that the scripters focused only on the "shell", presenting an eye candy series with an erratic obsession for "cool factor".