View Single Post
Old 2008-02-15, 06:42   Link #20
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlephNull View Post
Hello. I've started translating the first Japanese volume, and Onizuka kindly agreed to host it on Baka-Tsuki. I've been learning Japanese on my own for some time now and am quite new to translation. In particular, I've not yet had the chance to get feedback from anyone about my understanding of Japanese.

I've put up a draft of the first few pages in a discussion page of the wiki, rather than in the main article. I'd be really grateful if people skilled in Japanese could review it. I've got lots of questions in there as well, am hoping to get replies for them. Once there are enough reviews and corrections, and I'm sufficiently confident of it's accuracy, pages will be moved to the main article, where the usual editing can take place.

I've recently started down the road of translating volume one as well, but I am definitely much farther behind than you =). I've been studying Japanese here in Japan for around 1 month now, and all I know is some basic sentence structure, and the hiragana/katakana. I've been using Wakan to lookup Kanji based on estimated number of strokes, and key symbols. Then I've been copying the sentences exactly as they appear into a word document, then use Babylon to translate, and I try to rephrase the sentence based on english grammar, and change words if there is a different meaning to something. I was thinking it would A. Satisfy my need for more SaW, and B. Help me learn Japanese, by going above my abilities, and researching it. Your work is something I can check mine against, and I'm grateful for it.

Question: This is my first time reading a light novel, and I was wondering, in the book, there are these small black half-boxes around certain words. Does this separate dialogue from narration? The 4th to 5th lines started to really confuse me, but it's because of a shift from dialogue to narration I think...right?

As for information of Spice and Wolf, correct me if I'm wrong, but heres some things I was thinking about.

Volume 1 Has six chapters, each chapter has been adapted into an animated episode. ANN says there will be 12 episodes and an OVA. That's the equivalent of 2 light novels....does this mean the anime will be left hanging? (there are 7 novels now, and they are still continuing) Or will they pull an FMA and change the storyline completely half-way in?

PS Gosh I wish I could read Japanese...I've always loved books, and not being able to read something I've become entranced with really bites....
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote