View Single Post
Old 2010-02-23, 10:17   Link #52
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Regardless of how you enforce laws and enable digital rights management, there will always be people out there who are not going to purchase your product and there will be people who will either watch at someone else's house or obtain a copy from someone who owns it. That's automatically someone that's not going to buy a product.

What fansubs have done is enable people outside of Japan to be able to find shows they otherwise would not have seen (like Haruhi) and support them by buying other merchandise. As I've posted before, I'm buying the R2 Haruhi DVDs, and have ordered the Gensou DVD, and the Disappearance/ENOZ CDs as well as the guidebook. I plan to get a R1 copy of the new episodes so I can understand the extra features and complete that set as well.

If I had not been able to originally watch the fansubs, I wouldn't have purchased the limited edition R1 DVDs, much less what I've already bought, so there are people like me and TMISDR who would likely not have bought any merchandise if they hadn't been pirated from TV broadcasts.

Also think about other merchandise such as figures and toys for other various shows. I know of several people on another board who buy tons of Japanese Kamen Rider and Super Sentai toys that would not have been possible unless fansubs were not available.

Piracy isn't always a bad thing. Will there be people who won't buy anything, yes! But those people will always and have always existed. Enthrall people with a quality product and they will support the show regardless of cost. It's also a two-way street. If you really like a show, buy something for it, even if it's a single or a figure to show your support.
I'm not sure about the actual figures, but I have a feeling why Haruhi can be such a great success despite the predominance of piracy and fan-subs is because the profits earned from the merchandise is way, way higher than the loss of profits from piracy. This similarly should be the case for other animes as well. There are a variety of spill-over effects from the launch of the anime. I agree with Megax-san in that there will always be free-loaders who simply watch the anime and not contribute anything towards the earnings. But for each free-loader there will almost certainly be another hardcore fan who buys figurine after figurine, DVDs after DVDs and trading cards after trading cards (that's me). So I really don't buy the whole 'piracy-is-causing-the-anime-industry-to-suffer' theory. Hollywood suffers from piracy because they do not have merchandise to profit from other than DVDs.

That said, anyone knows what are the major names in animation these days? I know KyoAni is one, but any others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi View Post
There was a confirmation that Tanigawa was writing the 10th novel, but it was a while ago and I'm starting to become suspicious already.

I really hope they animate the drama CD, Sound Around, and Haruhi theater, as well. These are some of my favourite stories, and seeing the SOS brigade in medieval clothes would be hilarious.

I've been an anime fan since 2004, and people always say that the industry is in crisis, even when it's blooming. So, there's no way this supposed crisis is so strong. In the worst case scenario, anyway, there will always be anime in Japan.
Apparently, Tanigawa is 'readying the novel for publication'. I don't know what that can mean. Maybe settling promotions for the novel or something?

I haven't followed any of the official Haruhi releases outside of the anime and light novels, so I can't judge the awesomeness of the drama CD and Haruhi theater. Mainly because I don't understand anything without subs

So what exactly is this crisis people are talking about? I'm lost on this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealkidHaruhiism View Post
Sugar Dark: The Buried Darkness and the Girl

Its also in ann: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...rk-light-novel
My, my. The plot sounds pretty dull to me so far, but the animation shown in the video given by the link stirs my interest. Last time I watched something distinctly like this it was in Bakemonogatari (but their animation techniques and style are pretty hard to follow, to be honest), so I'm looking forward to seeing what Kadokawa and KyoAni, the backers of Haruhi, can do with this light novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Asakura's new country against DemitryEV's country... whoever will DemitryEV root for?
Given your new avatar and the ongoing Olympics, I was wondering what on Earth has Asakura got to do Canada when I realized that she's technically a Canadian now

Wonder if she can fit in if she really went over there, though