View Single Post
Old 2011-02-18, 14:58   Link #211
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I want to be clear - I'm not saying that this isn't well-written. Most of this anime has been well-written, in my opinion. A little heavy on the exposition, and a little light on the "show, don't tell" side of things, but good solid work on the whole. It's certainly very thought-provoking, to its credit.

But I've read Gen be built up as this incredibly twisted writer that puts his characters through dementedly dark meat grinders.

Going by that, I was expecting something at least as dark as Full Metal Alchemist, Ga-rei Zero, Higurashi, Shakugan no Shana, and Umineko. And so far, I haven't seen that.
This is why I said Gen isn't able to shine here. He may be trapped by some restricting confine of anime, Shaft, Shinbo, some mysterious higher force, that doesn't allow his dark creative juices to get running. Real Urobuchi Gen is in Saya no Uta and Kikokugai, which imo are both grim dark amazing. Both made in 2003 incidentally, so maybe that was his prime.

Otherwise, I'm feeling his limited in a sense by what's acceptable by whatever standard this show has presented so far (which seems to be more psychological than physically brutal). And at that Gen is then somewhat unable to really delve into the psychological states of each girl like he could do in a visual novel. So yeah, long story short I'm disappointed by Urobuchi Gen standards (unless last five episodes are freaking amazing).

Makender is offline   Reply With Quote