Thread: Licensed Shiki
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-28, 00:25   Link #2169
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
It's one thing to accept the fact that "hey,I'm going to have to kill this person I'm very fond of to survive,so be it", and another to try and confort yourself by saying "this isn't the person I once knew,so it's ok to kill that person" because the latter is a complete lie,the shikis still had memories and emotions so they still were very much the same person.
I don't think it's the same person if the chance of a regular person becoming a murderer is less than one percent and the chance of a shiki becoming one is more than ninety-nine percent (or a hundred percent as far as the villagers knew). That's one heck of an important difference, so it wasn't like the humans were denying reality completely. Having to kill someone whom you know and like is a horrible ordeal and I can't really blame anyone for pretending the shikis were less human than they actually were (and we shouldn't forget that unlike the viewers the average villager never saw the shikis behaving altruistically like Tohru and Ritsuko). Considering they were going to kill them anyway, pretending or not pretending, so all they did was make it a little bit easier for themselves.

Quote:
Except that the humans not only were killing Shikis,they started going after people that were simply bitten (and being bitten once isn't deadly,they could have recovered) or supposed "traitors" when they had no proof and sometimes were just innocent people.
Some of them went over the line, yes. That's sadly pretty much inevitable in such circumstances (panic, mob rule, quite justified suspicion that anybody could be an enemy in disguise) but still it's a far cry from the systematic slaughter that was the shikis' modus operandi for months.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote