View Single Post
Old 2012-10-20, 14:50   Link #1132
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post

You know, in a way, the Dominator reminds me of the string of controversies a few years ago surrounding the arming of security enforcers and so-called rent-a-cops with stun guns.
Good analogy. In fact, now that I think about it, the Dominator makes me think of how cops have been using tasers in recent years. I've read up on a lot of controversy related to people suffering serious medical problems (up to and including death, in at least one instance) due to getting tazed.

The impression I'm getting is that, in the real world, a lot of cops are using tasers as the ultimate catch-all tool - It's not supposed to be lethal, but it's supposed to quickly and safely subdue a person, so cops naturally and understandably love it. But it's getting overused, as some cops just grab that taser at the first sign of trouble.

Police officers tend to like things very nice, clean, and unambiguous (less chance of they themselves getting in trouble that way). And also given the dangers in their line of work, I can't blame them. But it means that a tool like the Dominator is just ripe for abuse and over-reliance, which is what I think has happened here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
Sorry. Triple R, I already called it way back in ep. 1
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=696
lol, good for you. Let's see if our prediction comes true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
You can't kill Columbo. Columbo's method of investigation doesn't put him in danger. He's a thinker.
I really like the guy myself, especially since he has a bit of a calming influence on the show, what with his very old-school approach to cop work that's just so refreshing in this vaguely cyberpunk futuristic world.

... But given that this is a Gen anime, that probably means he's not going to last too long.

Back when I tried to make speculations for Madoka Magica well over a year ago, I tried to take a mostly counter-intuitive approach to things. But no, I think Gen prefers giving people honest hints over red herrings, and having nice, little bits of foreshadowing and winks-to-the-audience about where he's going.

For example... that guy holding a copy of 1984 in that image. I'm not sure if Gen had any say in that image, but let's just say you don't get a much more blatant hint than that, lol.