Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-22, 04:23   Link #1493
Blonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
When you say "better", what particular reference point are you using exactly?

The problem with claiming one side to be better than the other is that anyone can only do so with a specific reference point in mind. Likewise, changing the reference point can come up with an entirely different perspective. In my case, disregarding the self is every bit as abhorrent as disregarding others.
I see a better option as one that helps the largest number of people. Selfishness is focused on the well-being of only one person, altruism focuses on the well-being of many. This number rises even further if the person is willing to risk their own well-being, rather than not even try out of fear for their own well-being. The only way it can be bad is if the person is truly destroying himself in the process and Taichi is nowhere near that.

Quote:
The way I saw it, Taichi really crossed the line once he began imposing his own to beliefs onto to Himeko in that one scene. It's all well and good if he wants to kill himself for the sake of someone else, but if he expects others to make the same sacrifices he makes, then there is something seriously wrong with him.
I don't remember Taichi saying anything of the sort. If he judged people for not wanting to kill themselves for others, he'd lash out at Aoki for suggesting Iori dies with her own body in episode 5. Instead he calmly accepted both Iori's wish and his friends' unwillingness to give their lives for Iori.
No, his anger was directed at Inaba's willingness to not get herself involved with a friend in need. Inaba is doing the exact same thing Yui is doing, she's avoiding normal contact out of fear that this new gimmick will make her hurt people even more.
Aside from that, are you forgetting that Taichi's desire got released in that scene? He was frustrated at Inaba's passiveness regarding a friend who's suffering. The only reason he's "imposing his beliefs" is because he's saying what he's thinking due to this new gimmick.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote