View Single Post
Old 2011-05-16, 12:06   Link #93
kaigan
Segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I disagree. Her mother was making a point on how Madoka had always been a good kid, [B]not that she specifically raised her that way[B]
unless i'm watching a mistranslated sub, junko-san said herself in ep 6 that she raised madoka well - that she's always been a good girl; she always try her hardest to do the right thing. mom even praised her to be a wonderful child. and then she considers madoka to mess up sometimes or take the fall as part of the learning process.

junko-san having no regrets about the then-present madoka means the girl grew in a loving and understanding environment conducive for kind people like those with strong desire to help others.

Quote:
which would be kinda hard anyway since she spends most of her time at work.
yes, mom spends most of her time at work. but it does not mean the situation in the kaname household has always been like that before. who knows, if junko-san stayed at home and tomo-san worked when madoka was tatsuya's age. then they switched places when baby bro was born? so while we are aware that mom is a busy woman, it's too harsh to assume that she doesn't have a hand in upbringing her daughter well.

besides, madoka's already in an age that she could take care of herself. she doesn't need to be babysit and spoon-fed or send off and fetched to school. she's a young adult, and an onee-chan to boot.

and considering i really did watch a mistranslated sub and even if it's not because of mom, it's of little significance because papa is also always there. madoka has two parents. singly or mutually both parents did a good job or at least have a hand in developing madoka into a good girl.

papa has a very limited screen time. so no matter how little his appearance is, maybe that's enough to make him or at least portray him to be a good husband and father.

Quote:
If anything, her words (and behavior as a mother) supports my take that Madoka is characterized the way she is
well, madoka and her mom seem to be quite close. they always talk whenever possible, while brushing teeth, on the table, and so on. and this is supported in ep 11 that mom shared to sensei that madoka always come to her to talk regarding what's troubling her.

the "high five" of bidding good bye or take care symbolizes intimacy between the two. and junko-san seems to be approachable and doesn't mind having late night talks/interviews with her daughter at all. is this unmother-like or out of character in mom's part?

and in ep 11 again, there is this revelation (to sensei) that mom said the she understands madoka pretty well ever since, only now she is having difficulty, she
can't see through her recently. how could she had said this if she had been so neglectful as a mother?

now, you might point out about drinking. but it's just alcohol. any grown-up probably drinks alcoholic beverages. it's not as if she is drinking all the time every time after work that ultimately affects her work schedule and relationship with her family and officemates. and mom knows not to force/let madoka to drink because her daughter's underage. i see no problem with it. it's not as if she committed extramarital relationships or promiscuous sex.

regarding her words in ep 2 and
Quote:
Her mother would not hesitate on crushing a co-worker to get a promotion, for example (this has been stated in the series) while Madoka would never do something like that.
again, unless i'm watching a mistranslation, mom said getting 'rid off' of the senior partners of the company. this is in response in the question that if magic could be use to fulfill her wishes what would it be.

the word "crushing" is a bit too harsh and implies something underhand, unlawful, or illegal. but the series itself and the ensuing dialogue tell us nothing like it, instead quite the opposite. she said that she just need to improve her sales and that might improve her footing in the company hierarchy. it's not as if she's desperate to do any means. so, i see no issue of unmotherly in junko-san's part.

we must also consider that junko-san here is already an adult and living in real "adult materialistic world." yes with all the bad and undesirable where competition and money is the norm and blood. while madoka is in a transitionary stage of adolescence. the bridge between the innocent, idealistic, and pure childhood and harsh but mature adulthood. they are in different worlds.

Quote:
Regardless, it's pretty much a fact that she's poorly characterized.
uhm, you have your reasons to believe your way. but i believe madoka received adequate characterization considering the length of the entire series and this is supported with convincing evidence. as i said before, there is/are hint/s. and some might have already been pointed out. and i mean subtle hint/s doesn't/don't equate to lack/absence/poor characterization.

Quote:
It's clear she doesn't get her ideals from her family. Her family is loving one, but Madoka's ideals are way beyond that.
i don't see this clearly. i'm sure in a way madoka's influenced by her family. it's not like they are polar opposites and too contrasting like black and white. i see no reason why you believe otherwise.
kaigan is offline   Reply With Quote