View Single Post
Old 2018-02-10, 18:25   Link #13
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Agree with Haak—–-

Big advantage of the awards, regardless of if you agree or disagree with results of nominations or voting phase is that you get a big sorted list with what you "maybe you should give the benefit of a doubt?" according to people on this forum. Mainstream popularity bias is a factor of course, but I personally trust the general consensus here more then other places. It's also interesting to know what's "mainstream" here, and what isn't good enough (I was surprised the we didn't get fate-bombed again for example).

Movies are particularly interesting in this regard since they're generally discussed very little and there's much less exposure for obvious reasons. So in a sense it's kind of important to keep them. And frankly given we have categories like ongoing, side-character and so-on dropping movies seems guaranteed never to happen. Right now I think only sports is on the chopping/swapping block.

As for visuals category problem,

I believe it evens itself out, movies may have bigger budget but TV shows have more then enough exposure to compensate by sheer numbers. If enough people watched it and it was so good visually that it left a impression strong enough for people to remember them when voting then it's fine if they win (note that we do DVD release, not first screening, so movies do get quite the disadvantage in a way already). We would accept it even if it was some 20min short, so long as people thought it was the best eye-candy of the year; there's no rules or argument against it, since A categories are for everything (as are B & D categories).