View Single Post
Old 2012-01-01, 03:03   Link #16
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post

Question: is Madoka Magica eligible for the fantasy category? Following the descriptions given here it seems more appropriate that those votes go to the Sci-Fi category.
Good question.

Unfortunately for those that try to categorize shows, the authors seem intent on blurring the lines between genres.

Madoka Magica certainly did take a turn towards Sci-Fi in the one episode where Kyubee explains everything. However, virtually all the rest of the show used classic Fantasy tropes and conventions, not Sci-Fi.

So is Madoka Magica Sci-Fi or Fantasy?

My conclusion is that it has elements of both and therefor is a legitimate candidate for both categories. However, I voted for it for Fantasy and not Sci-Fi because while I feel Madoka excelled at the fantasy elements and themes, I felt Madoka wasn't the most excellent at Sci-Fi themes or elements.

A Certain Magical Index is even more difficult to parse, and if there weren't so many other good shows I would put it down for both categories. If a show excels at both Fantasy and Sci-Fi themes and blends them well I figure it should be able to be represented in both categories.

Penguindrum is another, is it Fantasy? Maybe, but I felt that thematically it wasn't really in line with "Fantasy" as much as it was a heavily symbolic Drama/Tragedy. So while I wouldn't object to it being in the Fantasy category, I voted for it in Drama/Tragedy instead.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote