View Single Post
Old 2010-08-17, 06:38   Link #177
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I've actually asked several people who I believe knowledgeable on the subject, and all of them have told me DID doesn't work this way. At best, and this is rather rare, you get a personality that may be aware of the other ones, but that's as far as it goes.

If Yasu indeed suffers from DID, then Ithink we'll just have to accept that this is R07's own take on the matter and changed the way it works, as most writers in fiction do.
Yeah as I said classical DID does not work this way, but the formation mechanisms have some similarities. Personality formation under this disorder stems from stimuli and not from a conscious control of personality formation that goes so far as to be able to create completely discrete and different entities at one's desire. If this was even remotely possible then you'd think a lot more people would be capable of this.

Assuming R07 plans to stick to actual psychiatry, the most probable explanation of an overarching personality would be purely incidental, as in while we could consider Yasu as the core personality, it was only by pure chance that the core personality ended up being capable of being witness to the other personalities he formed as defense mechanisms to his experiences. Direct control is likely to be completely impossible even in fiction, and it is just as likely that whoever the more dominant personality is, his awareness at most only allows him to use the switching situations to his advantage even if he does not control them rather than being able to switch them in and out at will.

Now assuming Ro7 decides to go pure fiction and rewrite the concept for his own ends, then all bets are off.

But this doesn't erase the fact that even in real psychology, a person with DID can have one of the personalities to be more subjectively dominant than the rest. As I questioned before, who is the more dominant one? There are times when I don't even think Yasu is the dominant personality.