View Single Post
Old 2012-09-25, 16:22   Link #2499
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If you've ever seen the folks at the JPL mission centers - that's a quick study of the way people dressed in all the jobs I've ever had (places with customers like NASA, Air Force, "other" customers). Not that there wasn't resistance from the "suit/tie" faction. I'm perfectly fine with suit/tie for the right situations - but there are far fewer of those situations than one might think. When the general is there for a formal meeting, sure, dress up. When its majors, colonels, and whatnot? Meh, its goth, hipster, punk, hell's angels, and a few bazingas at the wheel.

To wheel this around back on topic: In JAPAN, you'll find much more openness in the artistic fields both serious and pop. You'll also find more openness at the street and small business level. Corporations, otoh, are descended directly from samurai culture - you're a "soldier" for Mitsubishi, etc. The bad thing is that you used to be an employee for life in exchange for that service. Somewhere in the mid-90s, the corporations started experimenting with the New American Way of treating employees like shit and disposable commodities rather than important assets. The Japanese working forces are starting to respond to that and it isn't in a positive way for the old power clans - imagine that.