View Single Post
Old 2012-10-26, 09:41   Link #1313
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
^The point is that the system isn't wrong.
You keep writing this, but at no point have you substantiated this argument whatsoever.

The anime is presenting us with plenty of good reasons to think that the system is deeply flawed and needs to be fixed (if not removed).

Quote:
What's wrong is how people go about USING the information said system provides.
The system is more than just the information being provided. I don't think that anybody on this thread is saying that the very existence of precise psychiatric measurements of people is necessarily a bad thing, in and of itself. But the system goes beyond simply measuring people, since the system then takes those measurements and uses it as the basis for a major, overarching socioeconomic system that is quite clearly to the extreme detriment of many people. As I argued after Episode 2, we have a societal system here that runs contrary to both liberty and equality, and so I don't see much good reason to defend it.

Hell, at this point, I'm not even sure if the Sibyl System is causing less crime on the whole. In a world without a Sibyl System, would the murderer of this episode ever have become a murderer? It was clearly the institutionally-affirmed bullying that caused him to snap and want to kill people.

I any event, the information isn't the problem, no. But yes, the system itself is causing problems. The system itself needs to at least be reformed, and I wouldn't be surprised if Gen even goes so far as to eventually have Akane overturn the entire system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
Yeah, no.
Shinya is not meant to be 'good' here, he is shown as a biased and broken individual.
He is also shown as strong, bold, kickass, and generally supportive of the main protagonist Akane.

Is he a somewhat "broken" individual with serious psychological issues? Sure, of course he is. Like Batman is - You know, the Batman that virtually everybody loves.

People tend to like "dark", "gritty", and "intense" characters like Shinya. Gen, of all people, is keenly aware of that.

I'm not saying that Shinya is going to get a shallow treatment, and nor will he be portrayed as always being in the right. Of course he won't. But there's no doubt whatsoever in my mind that he's carefully crafted to be a likeable, kickass protagonist that the viewer is meant to sympathize with. So Shinya clearly not being keen on the Sybil System is telling, imo.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-10-26 at 10:03.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote