View Single Post
Old 2009-03-28, 19:42   Link #439
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the ending note ruins the show for me or anything. I really loved Episode 25 and thought it was incredible. Something just feels off with the set up.

Think of it this way.

-Taiga tells Ryuuji through a text message. "You never told me you loved me. Stupid."
-She leaves
-Fast-Forward to Graduation of 3rd Year
-Taiga takes the time to come back to the school and sneak into the classroom where they had their first confrontation.
-Ryuuji catches a glimpse of Taiga from the ground and dashes to the classroom where she is.
-Taiga then takes the time to put herself into locker where Ryuuji found her, from their first confrotation.
-Ryuuji, having not seeing her in a year, confesses his love.

I mean, through all of that build up and positioning, is it right for Taiga to say; "Why would you say something embarrassing like that? You should of waited for a better mood or something."
1. They knew they loved each other before she slammed her head into his jaw in the last 12 seconds of the episode. The entirety of episode 24 and half of 25 was coming to that realization. That's why I brought up the kissing scene, that portion was raw emotion and unbelievable amounts of affection. Ryuji saying 'I love you' was not a confession, it was his way of dealing with Taiga stepping up and taking care of her own problems. She had faith in him to wait, so he realized he had to accept it, but somewhere in the back of his mind he's thinking 'When this wonderful person comes back into my life I'm going to tell her that I love her'. That's what he does. He holds onto that thought for however long it took, and when she's finally in front of him he delivers it to her. Taiga gets embarassed, her normal personality kicks in, and she head butts him. If the two of them are in love 50 years from now, and he does something just as romantic, she's still going to kick his shins in and knock out his fake hip in response, that is just how Taiga Aisaka is, and the show stayed true to that.

You can dislike it all you want, but again, there is no real fault to be had.

Realistically speaking, Toradora never had an actual honest to god confession scene in it between these two, and that includes the 'I love you' at the end of the show, but then that's what makes Toradora stand out and hold up well on its own two feet. It's like getting mad at a show like Full Metal Panic (The Second Raid specifically) for not having Sosuke and Chidori embrace each other on a beach adorned by the setting sun with the waves lightly splashing their feet or some other Shoprite romantic novel standard crap.

If you really want to nitpick, look at the situation from the OTHER SIDE of the coin. Taiga and Ryuji realize they love one another, spend a small amount of time with each other (a few days was it?), and then Taiga up and leaves him to sort out her own shit. She doesn't tell him about it beforehand, she just expects him to tolerate it. So the newly christened love of your life left you without feeling the need to tell you what she was doing before she did it.

That's fine. Knowing Ryuji, he probably would have told her to stick with him and his mother to be part of his family. The thing here is that the two women who have pining for him before Taiga really figured anything out are now with him on a daily basis. REALISTICALLY SPEAKING I think either of them would have, hell, SHOULD have pursued matters in that time period, but then this is anime and not reality so that's how it is.

So yeah, she head butted the guy.

Big deal.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!