View Single Post
Old 2012-07-01, 04:31   Link #322
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post

Your harping on their circumstances isn't relevant because both of them have free will, and they still take the same general methods to handling their situations. If Madoka was in Kazumi's shoes and vice versa, I imagine they'd of made the same choices (and by "same shoes" I mean if Madoka was the witch in human form and Kazumi was the Ultra-God Candidate, since you seem to have utterly ignored this).

To say that Kazumi and Michiru are completely separate, and can't be compared to the variant Madokas, is blatantly false. She's not a perfect clone, but you're going too far in the other direction.
Kazumi occupies the same role in the story as Madoka, but she is not Madoka. Distinct characters can play analogous roles, but can still be distinct from one another, and indeed, the fact that Kazumi is noticeably distinct from Madoka is a sign of good writing indeed.

That being said, I would agree that both Madoka and Kazumi would have made the same choices, had their positions been switched. Obviously, the details would likely have differed - as a superficial example, Madoka would definitely be crying more often than Kazumi, but both would have likely came to similar conclusions as to the actions to undertake.

Then again, the Scenarios are indeed distinctly different. The interesting thing is that most of the grim-darkness in Madoka Magica comes from discovering how screwed up the entire Puella Magi system is.

In Kazumi Magica, most readers would have certainly already known of all the "Vanilla" horrors of the Puella Magi system (Soul Extraction, the Witch Cycle, etc), and indeed, the Pleiades Saints themselves are likely aware of most of the horrific details that say, Homura knew concerning the Puella Magi system. What Kazumi Magica does is take it one step further, and show just how much more darker the Madoka Magica world really could be, if we were to pursue some of the features of that system to it's logical conclusion.

The grimness in Kazumi Magica is NOT about the system itself, but how much more messed up the system could be made. From the mass incarceration of Puella Magis, to Grief Seed Manipulation, to body sharing, how some wishes can backfire even more, to what happens if Homura Akemi was an entire team of Puella Magis instead.

The heart of the series is to take some of that darker aspects of the Puella Magi world which we do not see in Madoka Magica, which Kyouko hinted at in the anime, and present it in a story. That is my take on it, and that's why I think that this is even Darker than Madoka Magica itself, since it goes beyond merely Vanilla Witching out, and into fates arguably even worse than becoming a Witch.

If Madoka Magica is about Fates Worse than death, Kazumi Magica is about Fates even worse than those Fates.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote