View Single Post
Old 2012-12-01, 06:45   Link #552
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure episode 9 and thoughts on Phantom Blood.

Spoiler:

Comment of Phantom Blood

It is important to note that the point that the story tried to convey was that Jonathan was a hard-working man who tried to live up to the expectations society placed on the ideal of the gentleman: proud, courageous, chivalrous and ultimately virtuous. It took Dio's attempts to break him, physically, mentally and socially, to forge the man that Jonathan will become. Like his father, Jonathan Joestar definitely was too good, his gentleman-ness is his great quality, that earned him the loyalty of Speedwagon, and also a flaw, that Dio tried to exploit. This is why it would be nice to spread the word about that kind of hero that is becoming way too rare.

David Production did a great job at making Phantom Blood arc enjoyable, which is quite something when this part is generally considered as one of the weakest by the fandom. Indeed, who would enjoy sitting through the first chapters that feels like reading Candy Candy? The director used good pacing, right music placement and directing tricks that helped to deal with the limited animation. He cut few scenes that may have hindered the pace and I have to praise the work of the seiyuus that was full of passion. Okitsu, Koyasu, Kawasumi and Ueda had fun with acting as Jojo characters and IT SHOWS. Maybe that's why I had been able to forgive how low budget it felt at times, I felt a love for the original work that is rare in the industry.

So yeah, JoJo's animated Phantom Blood is good, let's all spread the love for a kind of GAR that is becoming so rare today or that many don't have an idea of.

Last edited by Sheba; 2012-12-01 at 07:11.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote