View Single Post
Old 2006-03-18, 20:12   Link #61
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj
Well, the French are the exception to the rule. They're fiercely opposed to any sort of Anglicising of their culture. I'm reasonably sure that other European countries are not nearly so fanatical about it
Actually, most western and central European countries have have the same problem. Absolutely everything is dubbed and translated in those countries so the people are very poor at English. It's very obvious that it is much harder to learn a language if you aren't constantly exposed to it. They probably can't even read fast enough for subtitles since they aren't used to reading subtitles in TV and cinema.

I'd like to say that it's their problem if they're too uneducated to play the English versions, but sadly that's not how it works. You lose sales if only half of the population can understand your product and that is why northern Europe always has to wait for French, German, Spanish and Italian localizations even if we would be perfectly fine with the US versions. Yes, I'm bitter.

But that still doesn't explain why anything Japanese is such a taboo in Europe. Hell, even shuriken (throwing stars) are banned in Europe.

Instead of giving us the US version of Disgaea they actually had to remove the optional Japanese audio from it. It doesn't make sense!

And then we have Ninja Gaiden and some other ninja games before it where shuriken have been replaced by throwing knives. How the hell are they any better? Who makes these retarded decisions anyway?
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote