View Single Post
Old 2012-04-16, 18:07   Link #47
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

You can always just follow the dark path and pirate all the DLCs. I did that with Dragon Age II and ME2.

A lot of DLCs these days bring in money for minimal amount of work.
For example if your art team has a concept for an armor set, worked on a unpolished model but it was rejected in favor of something else. A company can spend a little time to polish up that particular armor and sell it off as a DLC (bioware does this a lot).

If you look on the finance side of things its almost stupid if a company (such as CD Projekt RED) do not sell DLCs for money. Some take the middleground: 38 Studio+Big Huge Games packed a lot of content into each of Kingdoms of Amalur's DLC (haven't played them myself but that is what I get from word of mouth - don't kill me if I am wrong) for $10. DLCs rake in TONS of money.

Some people that love a game would pay money just to get "more" ("we will pay money to see an alternative ending to ME3!!!!"), while other see DLCs (esp DLCs without "content") as the next attempt from dev/publishers to open a black hole in your wallet.

Buying some games these days is more like buying into a platform for companies to sell DLCs on.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote