Thread: Licensed Avatar: The Last Airbender
View Single Post
Old 2009-01-26, 22:47   Link #283
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistypearl View Post
It kind of reminds me of how in Memoirs of a Geisha (with authenticy in the book itself set aside) the actor was chinese and not japanese, I believe, and it was still a good movie. I know it's not as big as having american actors, but although I do see the point they are making, I feel it isn't that big of a deal. It's kind of lampshaded, but I don't see how hiring asian actors would make the show 'better', it still would be avatar, and I don't see how it would make it be authentic either, since, the show was MADE in America, this holds true despite the overwhelming asian influences. I understand people are getting upset over this, and I guess it's kind of like taking only the 'marketable' aspects of asian culture, but at the same time, I don't think it's a completely horrible affair. Now, if they tried to remove such asian aspects of the show, that would be downright censorship. Even though the character designs are diverse, not all of the characters I believe are meant to be asian. They are supposed to be from a diverse world, with more than one ethnicity. so hiring all asian actors would just be limiting it the same as all white.

Overall, I'm kind of impartial to the whole ethnicity ordeal. I mean, just because a show borrows ideas from asian (and other cultures) in a fantasy show doesn't mean that the characters have to be the same ethnicity as the real life influence from which it came. Technically, since the world in the Avatar series is made up, there isn't such ethnicities as asian, caucasian, inuit, etc. It's the four elemental nations, founded as loosely or stiffly on their originating real life culture.
I get what your saying and as much as many people are distraught about it, the casting is pretty much done.

However consider this...a lot of filming will be done in Asia, and its reasonable to say they will probably have a lot Asians as extras, you know to fill up the background...now what about the consistency?

You have an Asian location with Asian architecture and Asian extras, but then you have these main white kids walking around. Perhaps they thought about this already and have some plans to make it look more consistent while filming (or maybe not), but on paper it looks weird to say the least...

Just pointing it out...
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote