View Single Post
Old 2010-11-09, 07:39   Link #483
Wing Zero Alpha

So basically, the entire CG universe was established by Charles utilizing his Geass inside the World of C, or specifically Akasha if I read right, to rewrite history in peoples' memories from the 1990s AD onward. I have to admit that's a certainly a different take on CG's background, though I can't say I'm entirely sold on it. First, while it would be easy enough to manipulate people into believing a big lie like that (ironic that Charles and V.V. wished to created a world without lies by using a big one), what about icons that represent human history? Stuff like statues, monuments, historical documents, etc.? Sure, Charles and V.V. could have easily altered those things in America, but what about elsewhere? I would imagine it would take some effort to remove that statue of Horatio Nelson from Trafalgar Square, if not destroy the square entirely, since "Britannia lost that battle". And then there's the likes of technology and resources; yes, C.C. mentioned nuclear weapons being discarded, but what about sakuradite? Did Japan always have it and was only recently discovered, or did Charles and V.V. somehow alter the fabric of the universe so that Japan, a land notorious for its lack of natural energy resources beyond volcanos, would have the key mineral for their fabricated a.t.b. era?

As for the explanation on Geass, I can believe the Codes' mystical powers were actually ancient technology based; reminds me of Trinity Blood in a way, namely how the Methuselahs were actually humans enhanced with alien technology. Still, one thing you may want to think about changing is the idea that the Codes don't heal decapitations, because it's been recorded in canon that C.C. got her head chopped off at least once and still survived (makes me think of a Homunculus from FMA).

Beyond all that, I enjoyed this chapter just like the rest. The Lelouch/Nunnally moment was quite touching; unfortunately, the same could not be said for Kallen and Ohgi, as there's still a big rift between them even after all this time. Interesting take on Naoto's death as well, though it sounded like Tamaki was more at fault for trying to hijack that Gloucester than Ohgi was for standing aside and letting him do it. Still, here's hoping that things get amended in the end, for all parties.

And finally, I'm extra curious about that thing that attacked C.C. earlier, especially when it holds a connection to the energy spike from the Thought Elevators. Somehow I'm getting a real "calm before the storm" vibe now; in the past chapters things could have been written off as nonessential, but now it seems like the story is moving toward something darker and sinister, similar to all but the later episodes of CG when it was revealed the "God" everyone was fighting against was just the Collective Unconscious (not unlike the Third Impact from Evangelion IMO) and Marianne was assassinated by V.V. randomly. Overall, I've become even more intrigued with your work now Bonzo, and I can imagine that unlike Bandai you'll give a true grand finale to CG when the time comes around. Keep it up.
Wing Zero Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote