View Single Post
Old 2012-10-03, 09:24   Link #35
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
I doubt we would have that much anime licensed for legal distribution in the US if not for people watch it on legal or illegal stream first.
I am not going more off topic , so i am going to make my only reply on this subject in this thread.
Ignoring that the anime hype died down in the US quite some years ago (and it pretty much has never recovered) the japanese producers don't get too much out these licences and those licences are probably mostly extras for them.
Their primary way of earning back their losses comes from the disc and merchandise (which sometimes can also be music cd's or games related to that anime) sales, that's why the animes these days don't tend to target foreign audiences. Also that's why there is such a huge price difference between an anime disc for the US and Japan. For a blu-ray in japan (with just 2 episodes) you have to pay almost $90.

As for the legal streams (like crunchyroll) in the US, i am going to be blunt about it but i don't think it's working that well. Besides that i don't think enough people are paying members, their selection is pretty limited as well (some of Crunchyroll's content are not even available for outside of the US ).

Last edited by hyl; 2012-10-03 at 09:36.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote