View Single Post
Old 2011-05-23, 00:29   Link #778
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
Maybe, but trying to define ACs in the IS universe is a bit tough. Believe me, I've already dissuaded a couple of friends trying to write fanfics putting Mobile Suits into IS. Mainly because while it's true giant mecha would not be as powerful as the IS, the fact that they're more easily produced and piloted would make them a lot more practical and widespread--meaning:
- The balance between male and female in military power wouldn't be as skewed as it is
- How do you explain away giant mecha, anyway?

If you're trying to keep the story in-universe, you're going to have todo a bit of due diligence and find out what the loopholes are that allow you to put these kinds of things in...

...or you could do like Kamen Rider Decade and just mess things up because you just waltzed in from an alternate universe...

- Don't tempt me, Asage. don't....*snickers evilly*
Even if you could "mass produce" AC, there are not enough warm bodies to pilot the ACs. Choosing Ravens is done through a deadly hazing ritual where failure is death and any Raven vs Raven duel is fought to the death. The amount of AC pilots is extremely small and in the current timeline, only 4 pilots are considered legally pilots. There are about a couple others out there on the loose but the AC to IS ratio is heavily lopsided in the IS's favor. The other ravens are not exactly interested in taking over the world. just being mercenaries working for the biggest credit. The problem is finding who would hire them so they turned to a dirty living being petty warlords.

And in my case of ACs in the world, thanks to the openess of the alaska treaty, they took minaturization tech to allow smaller AC for the same combat potential, of course not everything could be used. The best they have do is make ACs smaller, they are only slightly bigger than an IS while retaining many traits of an AC. The only benefit of the doubt is the ravens are augmented with the OP-I, giving them improved capabilities at the potential cost of sanity.